Tuesday 10 June 2014

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Erin Bailey

Hello! Happy Tuesday =)
It feels agggggges since I've done a TAT, it's weird but I think that time feels so different online to offline, like they are not kept at the same pace or something lol anyhow it's back now yay! First one for June, enjoy xxx

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are.

Hey all! What can I say about myself that is interesting? I am a mother of an 18 year old, 5 year old, and 4 year old. Why the huge gap between kids? Because I'm crazy!! And because life happens at a moments notice...at least, that's what it feels like to me :) What else happens "at a moments notice" for me? My art! With two energetic children bouncing around the house, I find that my art tends to be on the fly! I've dabbled in all kinds of media and methods, but when I discovered Art Journaling, I knew I had found my calling. I can blast a page with penned up creative energy and then walk away. Simple! 

 
What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
One of my biggest challenges I face as an artist is just that! Facing the fact that I am an artist! Up until this past year, I never would have considered myself an artist. I would have admitted to being fairly good at it but, knowing my work would never end up in a gallery, I wouldn't have considered myself an artist. That is until I decided to start taking art classes at the local community college. My teacher introduced me to the truth! If you express yourself in an artistic way and truly enjoy the process, art gallery or not, YOU are an artist! 

 
What do you love most / least enjoyable about your art?
What I love most about my art is that it's mine! Sometimes I am so WOWed by what I create! I will literally hunt down my husband, not only show off my latest creation but to also congratulate him on having a wife as talented as me :) Sometimes, you just have to pat yourself on the back! What I least enjoy about my art are the pages I really would like to bury. I don't know who said, "They can't all be winners", or something to that effect, but holy cow, it's true! As much as I am WOWed by some of my art, I am sometimes horrified by it! In the famous words of Steven Universe (an American cartoon character)..."If every porkchop were perfect we wouldn't have hotdogs!" So true! I learn something new with every ugly page I create!


Do you ever lose your mojo, and if so, how do you get it back?
Oh, yes I do!!! Especially after a creative sprint! I chalk it up to simply being creatively spent. It's a little unsettling at first. Am I broken for good?! I don't have any one method I use to get my mojo back. Sometimes, I might work on something simple like beads (cutting the paper, punching out designs, gluing) or cutting out pics in a magazine. Other times, I find A LOT of relief from puzzle books. It's great exercise for your brain!


Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
You can find me and more of my art at Art is Fun as well as Jennibellie's Journal Workshops.

Hi Erin, thank you so much for sharing your lovely art and story with us =) 
is everyone reading mentally storing "If every porkchop were perfect we wouldn't have hotdogs!" ???? HAHA that is not only classic, but such a useful thing for us to remember! Fabulous!
I also deal with my mojo disappearing after completing big projects and agree that it feels like it is because we may have creatively spent all our resources, and need to stand back and allow our well to be refilled....which can be very scary, and actually really uncomfortable, but we can probably all agree from experience that it does always comeback; so we have to trust in that process of being allowing when creativity flows, and being allowing when it doesn't - however hard that may be.

Our patience will achieve more than our force.
Edmund Burke


Do you want to be featured in an interview here?
Email me or click the link to find all the details here =)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...